Swedish School of Nursing
- Opened in 1899; First class graduated in 1901 with three graduates.
- 1903 changed from 2 year to 3 year program.
- Associated with Augsburg College for classes beginning in 1953.
- Affiliations at St. Peter and Rochester for psychiatric training; University of Minnesota Ancker Hospital, and General Hospital for pediatrics.
- Class sizes ranged from 3 – 81 over the years.
- Cadet nurse training programs were done from 1943 to 1945; spring and fall graduations occurred at this time.
- Closed in 1973.
- There are over 3,000 graduates from the school.
Books about the school and students are available in the MMC Library Collection: "From Stripes to Whites" and "True Nurse."
The Library has a collection of all the class graduation pictures, some graduation programs and other items.
VISITING THE HMHC
Our permanent collections are operated by the Hennepin Health Foundation.
The collections are located in the lower level of the HCMC Blue Building – 915 S 8th St, Minneapolis, MN. MAP
Both collections are open:
Tuesdays and Thursdays
10am - 2pm and by appointment
The MMC Collection:
Is located in BL.227.
The HCMC Collection:
Is located in BL.226.
Email | 612.873.6090
150 years of History
Enjoy a historical look of the hospitals from inception through mergers and transitions spaning 140 years. Read More