VISITING THE HMHC
Our permanent collections are operated by the Hennepin Health Foundation.
The collections are located in the lower level of the HCMC Blue Building – 915 S 8th St, Minneapolis, MN. MAP
Both collections are open:
Tuesdays and Thursdays
10am - 2pm and by appointment
The MMC Collection:
Is located in BL.227.
The HCMC Collection:
Is located in BL.226.
Email | 612.873.6090
150 years of History
Enjoy a historical look of the hospitals from inception through mergers and transitions spaning 140 years. Read More
Swedish School of Nursing
- Opened in 1899; First class graduated in 1901 with three graduates.
- 1903 changed from 2 year to 3 year program.
- Associated with Augsburg College for classes beginning in 1953.
- Affiliations at St. Peter and Rochester for psychiatric training; University of Minnesota Ancker Hospital, and General Hospital for pediatrics.
- Class sizes ranged from 3 – 81 over the years.
- Cadet nurse training programs were done from 1943 to 1945; spring and fall graduations occurred at this time.
- Closed in 1973.
- There are over 3,000 graduates from the school.
Books about the school and students are available in the MMC Library Collection: "From Stripes to Whites" and "True Nurse."
The Library has a collection of all the class graduation pictures, some graduation programs and other items.