Upcoming Events

 

The Anatomy of a Hospital: The Buildings of St. Barnabas Hospital, The Swedish Hospital and Hennepin County Medical Center

April 6 – May 30, 2017

Opening Reception: April 15, 10am-12pm

Minneapolis Central Library, Cargill Hall Gallery

300 Nicollet Mall, Minneapolis, MN 55401

          The walls of a hospital hold more than the weight of their structure. The building contains memories and stories from patients, families and staff. The history of hospitals in Minneapolis dates back to 1871 with the first hospital, Cottage Hospital, which would become St. Barnabas Hospital, a predecessor of HCMC. Through the years, and many transitions, the history of the hospitals often reflect the changing city landscape. This exhibit is about the buildings, memories and stories created through architecture. 

 

Program at the Library: April 29 at 1pm

Join retired nurse and HCMC volunteer, Carol Oeltjenbruns, on a journey through medical history in Hennepin County. Reverend Knickerbocker’s Cottage Hospital was established in 1881 when Minneapolis had unpaved streets, untreated drinking water, and was the milling capital of the world. The history continues with major advances in medicine to the present day with innovations such as kidney transplant and Hyperbaric Medicine. 

VISITING THE HMHC

Our permanent collections are operated by the Hennepin Health Foundation.

The collections are located in the lower level of the HCMC Blue Building – 915 S 8th St, Minneapolis, MN. MAP

Both collections are open:
Tuesdays and Thursdays
10am - 2pm and by appointment

The MMC Collection:
Is located in BL.227.

The HCMC Collection:
Is located in BL.226.

Email | 612.873.6090

Give

The Hennepin Medical History Center, a program of Hennepin Health Foundation (a nonprofit 501(c) 3 organization), operates through the generosity of private donors.

Every gift matters. Please consider supporting our mission and activities today by clicking on the link below and choosing the History Center when filling out the Donor Designations Field.

Give to the History Center

If you experience difficulties donating online, please contact our office at 612.873.6090.

Website designed by Kindem Design and developed by Terry Barth Design